Practicing Your Rights of Breastfeeding At Work

Earlier this month I received a letter from a nursing mom through my Chinese-language breastfeeding page. Here was the scenario: The baby was now nine and a half months old. The mother got to pump milk every four hours, twice a day at work. The mom has added solid foods to the baby’s diet, but breastfeeding…

Read More

Breastfeeding Actually Saved Me Lots of Work

Between my two kids, I breastfed for a total of six years. I exclusively breastfed for the first six months of each of them, and we extended the breastfeeding relationship to 2.5 years with my older one and 3.5 years with my younger one. I was often asked, “Isn’t that a lot of work?” True, breastfeeding…

Read More

Breastfeeding is a One-Of-A-Kind Experience

This National Breastfeeding Month, I invited the followers of my Facebook Breastfeeding Page to show their breastfeeding experience with five emojis. The results were truly fascinating and really reflect how unique each mother’s breastfeeding journey can be. Here are some most impressive responses:  From a mom who did not attend prenatal breastfeeding class, “I couldn’t believe that…

Read More

Congratulations to our Summer 2022 Lactation Scholarship Awardees

In partnership with UCSD Extension’s Global Lactation Alliance Program, SDCBC offers scholarships for community leaders who are pursuing LEC or IBCLC education in order to increase lactation support in underserved communities. Each year the Coalition will announce several scholarship opportunities and select individuals vividly exhibiting a passion to serve San Diego families. Meet Leslie McFarlane Like…

Read More

Promote Non-Nutritive Breast Feeding

WEE NUZZLE: A Quality Initiative to Promote Non-Nutritive Breast Feeding in Order to Increase Breastmilk at Discharge for Preterm Infants in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Background: Non-nutritive breast feeding (NNBF) is breast/chest feeding on a breast after it has been pumped. Reduced opportunities for infants to practice direct latching may discourage parents, impact breastmilk…

Read More

Fathers and Breastfeeding Resources

Fathers have an important role to make chest/breastfeeding work.  Breastfeeding: What is a Father to Do? Recorded Webinar from 5/22/2021 Objectives  At the conclusion of the presentation the participant will be able to:1. Discuss the influence of paternal/partner attitudes on the mother’s decision to breastfeed.2. Evaluate and respond to at least 2 of the most common…

Read More