Lactation Practice Within Immigrant Communities

I once knew a woman who breastfeed on a refugee boat for 48 hours and saved her two young children’s lives—yes, saved their lives, not kept them alive. It was during the 1949’s Chinese Civil War, and that was a small boat packed with displaced people. Her fellow refugees were afraid that the kids’ crying…

Read More

Vaccination During Pregnancy

Based on new evidence about the safety of COVID-19 vaccines, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is strengthening its recommendation for COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy. (See updated Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines and COVID-19 Vaccines While Pregnant or Breastfeeding.) The increased circulation of the highly contagious Delta variant, low vaccine uptake among pregnant people, and…

Read More

San Diego County Board of Supervisors Proclaim August as San Diego County Breastfeeding Month!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 17, 2021 SAN DIEGO—National Breastfeeding Awareness Month (NBM) is observed annually to raise awareness to address barriers to human milk feeding faced by families across the United States and around the world. The theme for this years’ breastfeeding month is “Every Step of the Way” and each week therein is celebrated…

Read More

Vaccinated Mothers Turning to Breast Milk to Protect Babies

A friend of mine re-latched her two-year-old soon after getting her COVID-19 vaccine back in May, hoping to give the child antibodies via breast milk. Her child was previously weaned at 18 months old. My friend is not alone. It is reported that vaccinated mothers have been turning to breast milk to protect children too…

Read More