News and views on breastfeeding, human milk, and all things lactation related
- Help Us Spread the Word!!
- SDCBC is partnering with Global Communities Healthy Start program to expand our free breastfeeding support warmline to multiple languages. We are currently serving clients in English, Spanish, and Tagalog, with more languages being added in the future!
- 1-800-371-6455 (MILK)
New Breastfeeding Support Group Map
Finding a FREE breastfeeding support group in your area just got easier. We are excited to launch this interactive map highlighting free groups in San Diego County.
Have a free group you would like added to the map? Please email the details to SDCBC Coordinator, Christina at email@example.com
Spread the word! The National Maternal Mental Health Hotline number has been changed. It is now:
2023 National Breastfeeding Month Proclamation Toolkit
- USBC released the 2023 version of the National Breastfeeding Month Proclamation Toolkit to help organizations submit requests for their governor to proclaim August as Breastfeeding Month in their state or territory. The toolkit includes a spreadsheet with links and information on submitting a proclamation request in each state as well as a long and abbreviated sample template for proclamation submission.
California Work & Family Coalition’s 2023 Virtual Advocacy Week that will take place the week of August 21st – 25th. Register Here
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) is hosting the “SIDS Awareness Month 2023 Planning Webinar” on Thursday, July 27, from 2-3 p.m. ET.
California Breastfeeding Coalition Appoints Jasmine Pettis Marquez as New Executive Director. CBC Launches New Website and Social Media Accounts
3rd Annual Breast Milk Drive & Health Fair:
- All donors must register in advance. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 858-249-6455
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a notice inviting comments on the “Feeding My Baby and Me: Infant Feeding Practices Study III (FMB&M–IFPS III)” project
- Fathers, Breastfeeding, and Infant Sleep Practices: Findings From a State-Representative Survey
- “What Does the Recent Literature Say About Medicaid Expansion?: Impacts on Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Trends in Maternal Mortality and Severe Maternal Morbidity During Delivery-Related Hospitalizations in the United States, 2008 to 2021
- HHS Study Shows In-hospital Delivery-related Maternal Death Rates Decreased More than Half from 2008 to 2021
- Researchers Identify Sugar Molecule in Breast Milk That Boosts Infant Brain Development
- The human milk component myo-inositol promotes neuronal connectivity
- The Effects of Refrigerated Storage of Donor Human Milk with Limited Bacterial Presence After Holder Pasteurization on Nutrient Concentration and Bacterial Growth
- Breastfeeding Success or Failure: It Is Time to Align Public Health Recommendations with Strong Clinical Support Systems
- Opioid Use Disorder During Breastfeeding
- The Impact of the Human Milk Microbiota in the Prevention of Disease and Infant Health
- Co-Parenting Impact on Breastfeeding: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- The Association of Maternal Smoking and Drinking Changes During Pregnancy and Postpartum Breastfeeding Pattern and Duration
- The Relationship of Preterm, Term, and Post-Term Births to Maternal Stress and Human Milk Cortisol Levels
- Mixed Feedings and Necrotizing Enterocolitis: The Proportion of Human Milk Matters
- The Association of Pre-Pregnancy Obesity and Breast Milk Fatty Acids Composition and the Relationship of Postpartum Maternal Diet, Breast Milk Fatty Acids and Infant Growth
- Skin to Skin Contact Correlated with Improved Production and Consumption of Mother’s Own Milk
- Transfer of Mexiletine into Breast Milk: A Case Report
- Nipple Vasospasm of Nursing Mothers
- Breastfeeding Medicine Across the Globe
- The Utilization of Sodium Concentration in Human Milk from Pump-Dependent Mothers of Preterm Infants as a Measure of Milk Production
Perspectives & Resources
- The Continuity of Care in Breastfeeding Support Blueprint. To listen to the full conversation, click here. To view the Letdown Podcast, click here.
- Kids Fly Safe Act Introduced in House and Senate With Provision to Evaluate Accessibility of Lactation Spaces
- I didn’t know men could get it” the hidden impact of male postnatal depression
- The Global Breastfeeding Collective updated the “Breastfeeding Advocacy Toolkit.
- The Australian National University (ANU) launched the “Green Feeding Tool.” The tool calculates the carbon and water footprints of commercial milk formula and helps illustrate the carbon offset that could be achieved by increasing breastfeeding rates, and reducing commercial milk formula use.
- Supporting Food and Nutrition Security Through Healthcare for healthcare systems and their public health and community partners. The Nutrition and Obesity Policy Research and Evaluation Network (NOPREN), one of the applied research groups we support, developed the new resource.
- ACOG Launches Online Mental Health Training for Obstetric Providers
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) launched a new eModule, Addressing Perinatal Mental Health Conditions in Obstetric Settings. This online training educates obstetric care clinicians about mental health screening, assessment, differential diagnosis, triage, referral, treatment, follow-up, and monitoring. Additional clinician resources include:
- Perinatal Mental Health Tool Kit
- The U.S. Department Of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service published the “Breastfeeding Reassurance Tips” webpage.
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Evidence-based Practice Center is accepting evidence submissions for the “Breastfeeding and Health Outcomes for Infants and Children” systematic review. The purpose of the review is to provide a synthesis of the current evidence on the association between breastfeeding/consumption of human milk and a range of health outcomes in infants and children. AHRQ is seeking supplemental evidence and data that is relevant to the questions in the evidence report. The deadline to submit comments is Friday, August 4.
- Registration is open for NWA’s 2023 WIC Technology, Innovation, and Vendor Management Conference
- Free Learning Opportunity! Tulare Kings Breastfeeding Coalition Lunch & Learn 8/08/2023
- NWA’s Participant Advisory Council – Applications Now Open. Applications can be completed here by July 18
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: “Pioneering Ideas: Exploring the Future to Build a Culture of Health.” Application deadline: Proposals accepted on a rolling basis.
- Prenatal vitamins Grant Application for WICs, FQHCs, and health departments across the country to target women of reproductive age who experience barriers to accessing prenatal multivitamins
- Administrative Supplements to Leverage Network Infrastructure to Advance Multisite Research for Women, Children, Pregnant and Lactating Individuals and/or Persons with Disabilities
- Rural Maternity and Obstetrics Management Strategies Program
- Healthy Start Initiative – Enhanced
- Healthy Families Community-Based Perinatal Health Initiative
- PHA is excited to announce we are now accepting scholarship applications for the PSI Clinician Training Certificate programs! As part of our efforts to improve equity and diversity among clinicians who provide care for Perinatal Mood Disorders, we are offering scholarships for the Certificate Trainings offered by PSI. There are both online and in person options for the various classes so please be sure to use the link below to find more information regarding the options.
- Community Level Interventions to Improve Minority Health and Reduce Health Disparities. Application deadline: August 9
- Global Communities is seeking part-time, on call Lactation Educators to join the US Programs team in the San Diego, CA Office. This work focuses on communities and language groups that experience barriers to lactation support. Please share and direct all interested candidates to the Global Communities Careers website here