Lactation Education Counselor Scholarship
In partnership with UCSD Extension's Global Lactation Alliance Program, SDCBC offers scholarships for community leaders who are pursuing LEC or IBCLC education in order to increase lactation support in underserved communities. Each year the Coalition will announce several scholarship opportunities and select individuals vividly exhibiting a passion to serve San Diego families.
The UCSD Lactation program prepares health professionals and other interested individuals to become lactation educators. It furnishes the basic information necessary to promote breastfeeding, and interaction with the breastfeeding triad through assisting and encouraging mother, baby, and support person. Topics include basic anatomy and physiology of lactation, early attachment of the baby, hospital care, support during the postpartum stage, common concerns and solutions, and appliances and apparatuses used in breastfeeding. At the completion of the course, students are "Lactation Education Counselors". The certification is valid for 5 years from the date of completion; we offer a quarterly online refresher course.
Now Accepting Applications!
- Must live and/or work in San Diego County or Imperial County.
- Must be eligible to meet the requirements for the UC San Diego Extension Program.
- The Lactation Consultant Pathway scholarship recipient must complete enrollment for the course within 6 months of receiving the award
- The Lactation Educator Counselor scholarship recipient must complete enrollment for the upcoming online course starting Sept 20th
- Scholarship recipient is encouraged to attend one San Diego Breastfeeding Coalition event within one year of receipt.
Previous Scholarship Recipients
Lactation Education Counselor
2020: Leondra Smith
2019: Karen Ochoa